It’s spring and I live in the Rockies. That means one day it will be 70 degrees and the next day, 30. And when it’s cold, I want soup. And this soup totally delivers on flavor. It has two, yes TWO different sausages. This is an important component in our house as my 5-year-old daughter’s favorite food is either sausage or bacon, depending on the day of the week. This also comes together in one pot which makes clean-up much easier.
Start by cooking the pepper and onion in avocado oil in a large pot. Then add in some ground Italian chicken sausage and cook it through. Add in some diced tomatoes and chicken broth and now sliced smoked turkey sausage.
Now the part that really makes it fabulous: pesto. Stir in 1/2 C of basil pesto. I use a pre-made pesto but feel free to make your own.
Let this all simmer together and then throw in some zucchini at the end and let if cook a bit longer. This keeps the zucchini from going mushy.
- 1 Green Pepper diced
- 1 Onion diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1 Pount Italian Chicken Sausage
- 2 Cans Diced Tomatoes (14.5 oz each)
- 3 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 Pkg Smoked Turkey Sausage (13 oz)
- 1/2 Cup Basil Pesto
- 1 Small Chopped Zucchini
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Cook pepper, onion and garlic in avocado oil.
- Add the ground sausage with a little salt and pepper and brown until cooked through.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, chicken broth and Italian seasoning.
- Slice Turkey sausage and add in along with prepared pesto.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add in diced zucchini and cook another 15 minutes.
No comments yet.