Let’s talk Bone Broth! Bone broth is the new trend in nutrition. As a general rule I tend to avoid “nutrition” trends as they are generally unhealthy scams designed to make we women feel bad about the shape of our bodies, convincing us that if we just spend an exorbitant amount of money for this one product we will have perfect bodies, skin and fart rainbows. Bone broth, on the other hand, is not one of those scams. It’s the real deal. Though you still won’t fart rainbows. Sorry.
First off, what are the health benefits of bone broth?
- Bone broth can improve joint health. – Bone broth contains all the proteins that exist in bones like collagen, glycine, glutamine, etc. These are crucial to help with joints. So if you work out hard, chase around kids or just want to walk without pain, taking care of your joints is very important.
- Bone broth can improve gut health. – Our guts are linked to so many things in our bodies. If your digestive system is working right, your whole body runs better. In contrast, if your digestive system is out of whack, so is the rest of your body. Bone broth can improve the gut lining, which leads to a healthy digestive system.
- Bone broth can boost immunity. – Whether you’re trying to prevent yourself from getting sick or trying to get over that nasty cold that inevitably comes if you have kids in school wiping their noses on each other, bone broth can help with that. Not only does bone broth help detoxify your body, but as I stated before when we talked about natural cold remedies, improving gut health improves immunity.
- Bone broth gives you pretty skin, hair and nails. – Okay so I’m going to appeal to vanity a little. The collagen in bone broth is amazing at improving skin, hair and nails. Seriously, my nails are suddenly growing so long and strong it’s almost annoying (though I generally keep my nails as short as possible because long nails bother me).
- Bone broth can help get rid of cellulite. – Again, let’s talk vanity. We often mistakenly think of cellulite as something only overweight people have. This isn’t true. Cellulite just means you have lack of connective tissue in a specific area. This can happen in people of all sizes. Bone broth can help restore that connective tissue.
So now that I’ve convinced you that bone broth should be a part of your life, how do you use it?
- You can use bone broth any time you’d use regular beef or chicken broth. This can be soups, stews and sauces.
- Bone broth is also great to drink, especially if you’re trying to concentrate the benefits. Just heat some up in a mug and drink it like you would water (probably more slowly since it’s hot…).
- You can boil things in bone broth you’d generally boil in water. For example, if you’re going to boil some veggies, do it in bone broth. This infuses the veggies with the nutrients from the broth.
How do you attain this liquid gold?
- You can buy bone broth, but it’s generally quite expensive, so I suggest making your own.
- Here are my favorite bone broth recipes. I kind of hate measuring though and cook according to my mood, so I generally mix elements of these recipes together. Bone broth is really hard to mess up. I get my bones from the 1/2 cow I order every year. This is the cheapest way to get high-quality meat. Make sure you request the soup bones as they sometimes throw them out. If you don’t have a cow share, ask the butcher at your local grocery store for extra bones. Or the next time you make a whole chicken or turkey, save the carcass and use it to make bone broth.
Moving on to our last question, how do you store bone broth?
- If I know I’m going to use it quickly, I store it in a a jar in my fridge. I always do this with a small amount because I know I’ll want some immediately.
- For recipes like stews and soups, I store 1-Cup portions it in Ziploc Bags and freeze them. This makes it last a long time.
- To have small portions to drink or throw in recipes, I freeze small amounts in silicone ice cube trays. This is the ideal method if you’re planning to drink it daily.
Enjoy your bone broth and your optimal health!